Saturday, July 28, 2007

PB #17 Trekkie Activism and a Dreadlock Mullet















In early July, we had to say goodbye to Leah, who has been volunteering with us for a few months. Beware potential volunteers: we came this close to roping Leah into putting off grad school for a year to keep working with us. But I think she was worried she would have to give back the parting gifts.















I am working on a concept for the cover of my 2007 mix CD, and I tried to get Ginger (aka pii.king) to pose, expressing "shock." She failed.




















If I change the concept to "seductive," Liz will be the cover girl.




















My organization celebrated its 7th anniversary with a gathering in Mae Sot. The anniversary coincides with Myo's birthday, and he organized a party that night. We had Burmese pop music ...




















... and a drag queen fashion show.















SMTh's birthday was also that week, but he had a lower-key celebration.




















KZ was born two weeks ago and I got to say hello.
































The following week I went down to Bangkok for, among other things, a press conference being held by Walter Koenig. He played the character Pavel Chekov on Star Trek. He recently visited the Thai-Burma border and is now helping to rally world attention to help bring an end to military rule in Burma. So if any of you trekkies want to get involved, you can visit his website at
http://www.walterkoenigsite.com/burma.html.















What blog entry would be complete without a shot or two of Sudsanan, my favorite pub. Jeremy is visiting, so we had a late night with Liz ... all of us looking rather haggard.















I have a new strategy for meeting interesting people. If someone has exceptionally large (or particularly unusual) hair, I'll approach them to ask about it. After my first attempt, I realized it was a sure-fire strategy. After all, if someone has put the time into fashioning a dreadlock mullet, he is going to be very happy to talk about it.




















It's hard to see how high this guy's hair goes because of the dark background. He informed us that it only takes him about 20 minutes a day of "combing backwards" to get this look. If I give it a try, I'll post the results here.















It was a late night, and we outlasted the cat. No peanuts for me, thanks.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Are you sure those are peanuts? That cat looks trashed. :b

We will arrive in China on August 16th and will definitely set up a blog once we find out what sites work the best from there. How do you like Blogger?

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, I was contemplating ways to keep my head cooler in summer because my mullet is getting thick. I think I will the give the dreadlock mullet thing a whirl. Thanks! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home