Monday, August 07, 2006

PB#9 Raised on Miles of Sky

Since mid-July I’ve been in Indiana. I’m working, but being quite distracted with a physical therapy regimen for a slipped disc in my back and visits with friends and family. And next week is my 20-year high school reunion.















Cori picked me up from the airport at 1 a.m. and we headed to the Shi-kay for a beer before going home. The Shi-kay is the local dive bar by our high school, and these bowling pins and the Mary statue were in the rafters. A good omen, I think.















I love the farms outside of Indianapolis, especially at this time of year when the corn is high. This is on the road to Cori’s house. Especially at dusk, I’m reminded of Carrie Newcomer lyrics (from when she was with Stone Soup, I think) - When you’re raised on miles of sky / You just start to need that space around / And you stop questioning why.
















I cooked for the first time in 8 years: chicken and veggie stir-fry. It was disgusting. Mom said she liked it. She loves me.















Maybe this is why it was horrible.


















Matt got a new job, and it’s a really good one. I think he prayed for it and it worked.















The first week I was here, a sniper shot at a few cars on highways near Indianapolis, so the highway authorities posted “report suspicious activities” warnings until they caught the guy (a disgruntled teenager who took off from a hunting trip). I am lucky nobody thought that me taking a photo of that sign was a suspicious activity.















I’m staying with my sister and her family. A family that sits on the couch together, stays together.















My niece and nephew have summer reading, including Pride and Prejudice. I’m trying to convince Becca to just watch “Bridget Jones’s Diary” for that one. Tom’s reading a book by Solzhenitsyn and is not very excited about it. That smile on his face is a pose.



















I’m enjoying the feeling of being old(er), which is sinking in as I gear up for the 20-year reunion. To feed into that theme, I attended the wedding reception of a guy I used to babysit. Jesse’s not ready for kids yet.















Jesse’s sister Corrie, also a babysittee, is making her break into the local music scene so I went to hear her – she was fantastic and will someday be a folk superstar. You heard it here first.



















Check out how blissed out Corrie’s mom, Alice, is to hear her daughter play.















This a muti-generation babysitter reunion at Corrie's gig. Mary on the right was my babysitter, and that’s Corrie on the left.















This weekend I attended the 2nd annual “Rooster Fest” featuring famous Indianapolis musicians. Actually, it’s just a group of friends and nobody’s famous, but it’s fun to pretend.















Anna was stylin’, as usual, and she brought an ice cream maker. Yum



















The bands got going. I put myself in charge of keeping the rooster in position.















I got a prize for coming from furthest away. We don’t get Reese’s in Thailand.















Kim and I wowed the crowd with our performance of “This Is Us.” Then I attempted my version of James Taylor’s “Country Road.” It was painful. Jack Daniels is not my friend. But check out that posture; I’m on that road to recovery.

8 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Jenell Williams Paris said...

Hi, Patrick! Tricia connected me to your blog. Glad you're doing so well, and I hope you enjoy your visit back home.

Love, Jenell Williams Paris

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What posture! I really am impressed. You'll have to give me some tips on your visit west in a couple of weeks. I can't wait!!!

Jeff.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger PeaJayPee said...

Praying hottie is my friend Matt. Not pictured is his hottie wife Kerry, so watch your back, Faux'b. Matt was my first true crush, at 16 years old. I'm lucky to have survived it.

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you made me miss summer in midwest, although wisconsin has a whole different gig goin on. we dont do roosters, we do cheese stuff. for some reason it was the ice cream maker that really made me feel home. just doing fun outside earthy concert things that non-midwesterner's make fun of. i am with you patrick. but i would still take my house and garden in chiang mai anyday. i am also happy that matt got a good job - handsome people deserve breaks, dont they?

thanks for sharing indiana with me patrick - i needed it while i wander the streets of kunming in yunnan, china now.

 
At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff. I was at the Roosterfest too!! Man that thing was popular. There was this guy that kept touching the rooster. Was that you? I thought he was harassing the thing not fixing it. Can't believe I missed you singing with Miss Kimmy. I must have been in the conveniently located "driveway port-a-potty" at the time.
I coached that hottie, not on how to get a job or anything important like that. Didn't you and him used to steal trucks when you two worked in Brown County years ago.

Kevin

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger PeaJayPee said...

I took pictures of the port-a-potty because it was the cleanest bathroom I'd ever seen. Should have made it onto the blog. Matt and I did a lot of things in Brown County, only a few of which made it onto the Sherriff's log. Others involved goats and fire hoses.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger fauxrean said...

Your posture is to be commended. Also, please put up your new post.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger fauxrean said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home