Sunday, June 07, 2009

PB #22 Humans were not designed to be alone

In 2009 I have been back and forth between Chiang Mai, Thailand and Honiara, Solomon Islands quite a bit. After living in Chiang Mai for eleven years, the prospect of packing up and moving on was daunting. I signed up for the job in the Solomon Islands through June 2009 because I was ready only for a tentative shift. This photo blog covers the preparation for my first trip to the Solomons. In the next posting, I’ll include photos of life in the Solomons and news of my trips back to Chiang Mai, and perhaps by the time I get all of it posted I’ll have made a decision about how long I am staying.


Before we get to that, back to the beginning of 2009 …
















On New Year’s Eve, I broke out of my routine and ventured beyond the 100 yard radius of my home to enjoy some reggae peace, love, and happiness.

















The 100 yard radius came to me, though – we met up with the Sudsanan crowd at a reggae bar.



















Cold season is also visitors’ season. Adam and Gus arrived on new year’s day.





















Piak demonstrates some fashion for the cold season.















Also breaking out of my 100 yard radius, Christina introduced me to a new hang out. I can’t remember the name, but we’ve come to calling it by the name of its best drink: Dr. Evil. To get there, turn left at this sign.




























In the spirit of visitor/cold season, Kristen also arrived. We lingered in coffee shops …






























and got pedi's, including polish (not the last of my pedicures, but probably the last time I’ll paint the nails).
















As I geared up for a new position in the Solomon Islands, I soaked in the friendships in Thailand, kind of stocking up on the companionship for what I imagined would be a whole lot of lonely in Honiara. Christina and Guy were in the right spirit.
















No Dr.
Evil at this spot, but Monkey Club does have flaming drinks. I’m not sure the plastic straw is such a good idea.















K
risten and I went with Ginger and Ouyporn to Koh Chang and headed as soon as we could to see Ed and O at The Souk. They’re not pictured here, but those are their drinks.


After much searching and negotiating how much of a princess I was allowed (or would allow myself) to be, we all settled on a newly opened (and so much-discounted but still) high-end resort right on the water – all clean lines, minimalist furniture, hammocks, and room to spread out.























































The computer did not stay open long and I indulged in the good company and relaxing vibe before the big move to Honiara.

2 Comments:

At 2:20 AM, Blogger Daniel Aguilar Ortiz said...

It's great to see the photos Pat. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger jenna said...

i love the plastic straw for the flaming drink. why didn't i think of that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home