Friday, December 28, 2007

PB #19 Coast to Coast

EAST COAST















I got back to New York after several weeks in Indiana in time for Jenna’s birthday madness in Koreatown.
















There were several karaoke highlights, including Jay-Z’s “Trapped in the Closet.” I thought it was never going to end.















Lennon takes his karaoke seriously. Alice is a natural.















On the way home, we took over the back section of a subway car to re-live the evening. Pity the poor guy stuck back there with us.















The following night we went back to the The Rub. I got friendly with just about everyone and ended up wearing this woman’s faux-fur.















Ereshnee got friendly with the hottest guy in the club and danced all night with him, then left him all alone on the dance floor.















And then Ereshnee, Polly, and I re-lived the evening at Ereshnee’s neighborhood pub.















Wendell had a benefit show on the Lower East Side to raise money for his trip to Thailand. For one of the performances, his mentor sported a sports bra, lycra shorts, combat boots, a fur, and sunglasses. And I thought karaoke was out of my comfort zone.














The rest of the time in New York was work-filled as I started my new gig with ICTJ. It’s a good thing I had had my Koreatown karaoke practice, because I was called upon to get the party started at the all-staff retreat. This is Kasia and I as Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers.

WEST COAST



















I switched my flight around to be back in New York, but couldn’t get a new flight to Thailand until Christmas Day. So at the end of December, I headed to California for a few days. Kristen’s daughter, Annette, got dressed up for my visit.















The next day I was on the beach in San Diego watching the sunset with Lisa.















Later that night, Lisa and I joined some of her friends for Christmas caroling in their neighborhood.















The next day, Lisa and I headed to desert for a hike. Lisa is the BEST tour guide ever.



















Lisa spotted a path that took us through some tight spots and up to a summit.



















I can’t remember the last time I was surrounded by such pure quietness. The only other living things around (except for the cacti) were two ravens.















I had never been to the desert and it was not what I was expecting – hilly and rocky – but stunningly beautiful.



















That night, we went to Mo’s for country line dancing lessons. I couldn’t concentrate well enough to get through the whole set, but I gave it my best shot. Dude in the orange shirt had some surprisingly tight moves.















Lisa was leaving for Venezuela on Christmas Eve, but she made time for another trip to the beach before she left. I think I’m going to have to find a way to make regular stopovers in San Diego.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home